Friday, May 8, 2009

Inspirations... they are everywhere..

We are not alone in this life... we are not islands with the soft gentle waves protecting us... each of us make contact with hundreds of people each and every day. Somedays.... that contact is limited to eye contact as you are stopped at a light in your car next to a complete stranger... other times it is the simple gester of opening the door for someone who is unknown to you... or sometimes so personal as a deep conversation with someone you love... sometimes those encounters are truly inspirational. I doubt that any of us can possibly realize the impact that in turn we have on the lives of others...

Over the last few days, I have seen news coverage of a woman by the name of Connie Culp. In 2004, her husband in an attempted murder suicide shot her in the face. They both survived. He was sentenced to prison (he is due to be released in 2 years) and she was permanently horrifically damaged. She lost her nose, her sense of smell, her ability to eat. Yet amazingly to me, she has not only survived, she has thrived. She has forgiven and 5 months ago was the first person in the US to receive a full facial transplant.

As I follow her story, I am sad, angry, shocked, amazed and most importantly inspired. I am sad that another human being could have done this to her. Angry that he received such a light sentence in my opinion, and shocked that she has had to endure so much. I am amazed at the miracle of the medical care she received yet comforted in the belief that God has been with her every step of the way. I am inspired by her ability to forgive and embrace life and continue to move forward in ways that I don't know that I could.

I will never know her... she only became known to me because of media coverage... but she has inspired me. If you haven't read her story, seen the incredible pictures I urge you to do so... she will inspire you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment